1929. Chicago Union Station.
“All aboard the Santa Fe El Navajo for Los Angeles, with stops in Kansas City, Albuquerque, Williams, and Barstow,” called the conductor, as he walked along the platform.
Edie suddenly embraced the matronly woman in the drop-waisted silk shantung dress with matching toque standing next to her.
“Oh, I will miss you, Momma,” she said.
“And I will miss you!” her mother replied, before turning and embracing her sister Gertie.
“You girls have a wonderful trip but do be careful. Edie, you take care of your little sister.”
The family resemblance was strong. Edie and Gertie had the same dark eyes and full mouth as their mother, though their dark hair was shingled under their wide-brimmed picture hats. They wore similar silk afternoon dresses, but theirs were knee-length, with flounced hems and short, fluttery sleeves. The bands and large bows on their hats matched the fabric of their dresses. Long ropes of pearls hung from their necks, while their mother wore a shorter, more conservative multi-strand pearl necklace. Jewels glittered from the ears of all three.
“Momma!” protested Gertie. “Edie’s only a year older than I am!”
“Oh, Momma, the Fred Harvey Company won’t let anything bad happen to us,” Edie said at the same time. “Besides, Gertie is eighteen now. She can take care of herself.” The two giggled.
“Ahem.” Their father, a middle-aged, balding man in a tailored navy-blue summer wool suit and derby, cleared his throat. He pulled a wad of cash out of his pants pocket. “Your expenses for the Detour have all been paid, but you’ll need a little something for extras.” He divided the stack in two and handed one stack to each, holding back two bills. “Now, don’t you two come back all decked out in jewelry, looking like Theda Bara.” They giggled at him as they slid the bills into their envelope clutch purses.
He held out one of the two bills. “Now, Edie, you give this to your porter when he shows you to your room.” She nodded and took the bill. “And you give him this,” he held out the second, “when you leave the train at Las Vegas.”
“Yes, Poppa.” She added the bills to those in her purse.
“Your luggage is already on the train. I had them put your valises in your room. Now, give me a kiss, and get on that train!” He bent his head down and the girls bestowed a kiss on each cheek at the same time.
They trotted to the train, their spike heels clicking on the platform. They turned on the train steps and waved to their parents before following the Negro porter down the corridor to their drawing room. He held the door open for them. Their valises were standing in the middle of the room, between the bench seats that would be made into a berth at night, and the sofa facing them.
“There’s still time for lunch in the dining car, if you hurry,” he said.
“Oh, thank you!” Edie said, “We’ll head down there as soon as we’ve freshened up. And this is for you.” She held out the bill that her father had given her.
“Thank you, miss. Will you be wanting a table? I can install it while you’re at lunch.”
Edie looked at Gertie, who shook her head. “No, thank you,” Edie said. “Maybe tomorrow.”
“Very good. I’ll be back this evening to make up the beds, but if you need anything in the meantime, just press this bell here.” He showed her the button set into the wall, then bowed, stepped back into the corridor and closed the door.
Gertie flung her hat onto one of the bench seats. She sat down suddenly as the train jerked and began to accelerate out of the station. Edie held on to the back of the other seat.
“A whole week without Momma and Poppa,” Gertie exclaimed, throwing her arms wide and her head back.
“And with cowboys … and Indians!” Edie responded in the same tone. She set her hat on the seat. “We’d better hurry if we want to get lunch, although I’m not particularly hungry after the brunch we had at the Harvey House at the train station. Maybe I’ll just get a salad.”
Gertie jumped up. “Who says we have to have a meal? I’m just going to have dessert. I’ll bet if I ask nicely, and sweeten the deal, as Poppa says, they’ll let us pick from the dinner desserts.”
“Me, too, then!”
They stepped out and Edie shut the door behind them. They linked arms and walked down the corridor, swaying to the rhythm of the carriage, chattering excitedly about the trip ahead of them.
***
“That was the best peach pie I’ve ever eaten,” Gertie said as they neared their room. “I’m going to have another piece at dinner.”
“It was pretty tasty,” Edie agreed. “I was kind of disappointed that there were so few people in the dining car.” She paused and pushed her lips out in a pout. “And not one of them was a cowboy.”
“Or even a young man on his own!” Gertie added. She opened the door to their room and stepped inside, then stopped. “Who are you? What are you doing here?”
“Move on in, Gertie,” Edie said, nudging her. “Who are you talking to? Let me see!” She crowded into the room behind her sister.
They stared at the young woman sitting on their sofa, her blue eyes brimming with tears, a handkerchief crumpled in her hands. Blonde curls peeped out from under her broad-brimmed picture hat with a pink silk rose on the band. Her clothing was as fashionable and expensive-looking as theirs, but with far more ruffles and frills.
“Close the door!” she hissed. “Don’t let them know I’m here.”
Edie closed the door behind them as she followed Gertie further into the room. Gertie sat on the bench seat farthest from the door. Edie sat on the closer seat and asked, “Who are you? Why are you here? And who is ‘them?’”
“My name is Mary Christiansen. I’m from Chicago.”
“Chicago? We’re from Chicago!” Gertie replied. “I’m Gertrude Rubinstein and this is my sister, Edith, but everyone calls me Gertie, and everyone calls her Edie.”
Mary smiled wanly. “Pleased to meet you.” She took a deep, shuddering breath. “I need your help. I saw you when you boarded the train and you look so kind … I followed you and waited in the ladies’ lavatory until the porter left.” She took another deep breath. “I must have waited too long, because no one answered when I knocked on the door, so…” She shrugged. “I came in to wait for you.”
“But why do you need our help?” Gertie asked. “And who are you hiding from?”
Mary dabbed at her eyes before answering. “I’m hiding from my father and my brother. I, I ran away from home.”
“Why did you do that?” Gertie exclaimed excitedly.
Edie shook her head and held up a hand. “Let Mary tell us in her own time.”
“I’m on my way to Kansas City to get married against my father’s wishes.” She paused as Gertie gasped. “John and I met last summer, when my family went out to Colorado to a dude ranch. He’s one of the ranch hands.” She stopped again as Gertie exclaimed, “A cowboy! Is he a cowboy?”
Mary nodded. “Yes, he’s a cowboy, although he’s been saving to start his own ranch. But that’s the problem. My father doesn’t think he is good enough for me.” She shook her head. “John did the right thing. He came out to Chicago to ask my father for my hand in marriage, but Father threw him out and forbade me to see him again. But, I love him!” She looked beseechingly at Gertie and Edie. “And he loves me! So, we decided to elope to Kansas City.”
“Oh, it’s so romantic,” Gertie sighed. “Just like in a book! Isn’t it, Edie?”
“Just like a Zane Grey novel,” Edie agreed. “We read all of his books! That’s why we asked for the Indian Detours as our high school graduation gift from Poppa and Momma.”
“So you will help me?”
“Of course we will,” Edie exclaimed. “If we can. But tell us how.”
“I knew you would! I saw my father and William get on the train as it was leaving the station. That’s why I hid in your room instead of waiting for you to come back. I need you to help me get off the train at Kansas City without them seeing me.”
“How did they know that you were on this train?” Edie asked.
“I sent my maid to pick up the ticket so that I could get straight on the train when I got to the station. She must have told them.”
“Oh! The traitor!” Gertie growled.
Mary shook her head. “My father can be very intimidating. I knew that he’d get it out of her sooner or later. I had just hoped that it would be later.” She brightened. “I had her book it through to Los Angeles, so they don’t know where I’m getting off.”
Gertie giggled. “They’ll have to check every stop!”
Mary nodded.
“Let me think,” Edie said, gazing off into space.
“Leave it to Edie,” Gertie whispered. “She’s the smart one.”
The only sound in the compartment for several minutes was the low rumble of the wheels on the tracks. Edie smiled.
“I have it.” She rifled through her clutch purse and pulled out a train schedule. She nodded as she read through it. “Yes, that will work. The train stops for twenty minutes at Kansas City at one-fifteen in the morning.” She looked at Mary. “Do you have your ticket with you?”
“Yes, it’s in my purse.” Mary searched through her clutch and held out a ticket. “I’m in a lower berth. I couldn’t afford a room.”
“Would the porter in that car know you?”
“No,” Mary shook her head. “I don’t think so. I only saw him for a moment when he checked my ticket.”
“Good. Do you have any luggage?”
“Just an overnight bag. I left it in the berth.”
“That’s fine. Here’s what we’ll do. Give Gertie your ticket.” Mary handed the ticket to Gertie. “She’ll take your place in the berth and you’ll stay here until just before we reach Kansas City.” She looked at Gertie. “Come back here about one o’clock and bring Mary’s bag with you. Luckily, you two are about the same size. Gertie, you’ll change into Mary’s clothes then, and she’ll change into yours, just like Prudence and Robin in The Masqueraders.”
“We love Georgette Heyer, don’t you?” Gertie asked Mary.
“Oh, yes.” Mary sighed. “I read These Old Shades so many times, it fell apart!”
“So did we!” Edie exclaimed. “It was wonderful. Now, back to our plan. When the train stops at Kansas City, Gertie’ll get off first and—“
“And stroll along the platform,” Gertie said excitedly. “Luring the pursuers away.”
Edie nodded. “Mary and I will watch from the door to the car, and as soon as they’re far enough down the platform, we’ll quickly head for the station.”
Mary’s eyes shone. “And for John!”
Gertie jumped up. “I’d better get on my way! I’ve never played fairy godmother before!” She picked up her hat and her purse.
“One more thing,” Edie said. “You go to dinner by yourself. I’ll call for the porter to install a table and Mary and I will eat here. And you might want to take a book with you.”
“Silly me!” Gertie giggled. “I’ll need something to do, since I won’t have you to talk to.” She pulled a book out of her valise, then opened the door to the corridor. “Wish me luck!” She closed the door behind her as she left.
“I’m going to call the porter,” Edie said. “So you’d better hide in the lavatory.” Mary nodded and slid into the tiny compartment.
***
“Edie, are you awake?” Gertie pushed the door open a crack. “I know I’m a little early, but … well …”
Edie opened the door fully. “Come on in. We’ve been waiting for you. I had the porter make up the berths, but we’re too excited to sleep!”
“Me, too! And the clackety-clackety-clack of the wheels drove me up the wall! I just laid there, staring out the window at the stars.” Gertie looked at Mary. “Let’s hurry and change clothes! Here’s your valise.”
The two young women quickly removed their outer clothing and exchanged it, with Edie helping to do up fastenings. She tucked Mary’s blonde curls up under Gertie’s hat that rested on Mary’s head.
Gertie and Mary looked at each other and then at themselves in the full-length mirror.
“Father will never recognize me in this,” Mary said.
“I almost don’t recognize myself!” Gertie giggled. “What about jewelry?”
“Better wear your own,” Edie answered. “It’s one thing to swap clothes, but Poppa would be furious if we swapped jewelry!”
“Oh,” Mary said, her face twisted in consternation. “How will I return these clothes to you?”
“And how will we get these back to you?” Gertie asked. She and Mary stared at Edie, waiting.
Edie pulled a visiting card out of the case in her purse and handed it to Mary. “You can send them to us at this address once you’re settled. Include your address and we’ll send yours to you.”
Mary tucked the card into her purse. “But won’t you need these for your trip?”
They giggled. Gertie spoke, “Oh, goodness, no. We have more than enough. Momma saw to that.”
“If you’re certain,” Mary said.
“We are,” Edie said firmly. “It’s good that your valise doesn’t have your initials on it. We won’t have to worry about your father or brother noticing it.”
Mary nodded. “I did think of that. My own luggage does, so I bought this one from my maid.”
“The train is starting to slow down. We must be close. As soon as it stops, Gertie, you go down the corridor and we’ll follow a couple of minutes later.”
They all crowded at the window to watch as the station platform came into view. The electric bulbs glowed yellow in the dark of the night, casting circles of light beneath their poles. The shadows between them were darker by contrast. As the train got closer, they could see clusters of people hovering near the tall double doors to the station on the brightly lighted platform. The train jerked to a stop with a squeal of metal on metal. Two men appeared on the platform at the side of the train.
“Oh, no!” Mary wailed a few seconds later. “There’s my father and my brother! They must have been waiting by the doors to get off the train so quickly.”
Gertie nodded. “They walked past me a couple of times when I was sitting in your berth.”
Mary pointed. “Look! My father is watching this half of the train and my brother the other half. I can’t leave the train without one of them seeing me!”
“Don’t worry. I’ll distract them!” Gertie said and left the compartment.
Edie and Mary continued to watch from the window until they saw Gertie step onto the platform. “Look, there she is!” Edie said. They watched her stroll slowly up and down the platform, passing in front of Mary’s father and brother.
“But, they’re ignoring her!” Mary wailed again. “They aren’t fooled at all. I should have known that they wouldn’t recognize my clothes.” She gasped and covered her mouth with her hand. “And there’s John!” She pointed at a tall, lean young man in a cowboy hat who had just come out of the center doors of the station. “If they see him, it will all be over. What can I do? How can I warn him?”
“Oh, dear. And I thought there’d be more passengers on the platform for us to hide among as we headed for the station.” Edie paused. “Oh, look! John must have seen your father. He’s gone back inside to wait for you.”
“Thank goodness,” Mary breathed. She shook her head. “We’ll never make it. They’ll see me, I just know it. All of our plans have failed.”
“We’ll just have to take our chances,” Edie said firmly, “unless you want to go back to Chicago.” She looked inquiringly at Mary.
Mary took a deep breath. “No. It’s worth any risk to be with John. Let’s go.” She picked up her valise and flung open the door. Edie followed her as she marched down the corridor past the women’s lavatory to the entrance to the train car. They stood behind a small group of passengers clustered at the top of the steps, descending one by one to the platform.
“Stay close to them as we get off,” Edie whispered, as they waited for the other passengers to disembark. “Try to keep in the middle of the group. And keep your head down!”
Mary nodded. Edie crowded to stand beside her and linked arms with her. “They’ll be looking for a girl alone, so stay close to me.” They carefully made their way down the narrow stairs.
“What are my father and brother doing?” Mary asked, keeping her head down as instructed. “Can you see John?”
Edie looked around the platform. “No, I don’t see John, but your brother is coming this way.”
Mary looked up. “Where? He must have seen me! Oh, what will we do?” She pulled forward against Edie’s arm.
“Keep your head down and keep walking,” Edie hissed, “but don’t run!” She forced Mary to walk with measured steps for several feet, then casually looked around.
“Whew! He’s stopped and is shaking his head. Now, he’s walking back toward the train. He must have decided that he was mistaken.” Edie looked forward again. “We’re almost there. Don’t run!”
“Well, that was a frizzler,” Gertie said as she came up behind the other two. “They barely looked at my face. And I tried all of my best tricks to get their attention, too. I dropped my hankie in front of your father, but he ignored it. Then I tripped and fell against your brother, but he just stood me on my feet without even saying anything.” She pushed her lips out in a pout. “I guess they gave up waiting for you, because they got back on the train.”
They reached the doors and entered the station. “Mary!” a voice rang out and the young man in the cowboy hat came trotting across to them.
“John!” Mary rushed into his arms. Gertie and Edie beamed as the lovers embraced and kissed. Mary said something to John, who turned and nodded toward them. They nodded back. He picked up Mary’s valise and, giving her his arm, started down the concourse.
“All aboard,” the conductor called from the platform.
“We’d better go,” Edie called.
Mary turned and waved to them. “Thank you! I’ll write!”
“Bye now,” Gertie shouted. They turned and ran to the train. Their porter reached out a hand to help them up the steps.
They thanked him and walked down the corridor to their room.
Gertie looked at herself one more time in the mirror. “The sooner I get out of this froufrou dress, the better! It looked sweet on Mary, but it’s too sweet for me! Unhook the back, will you, Edie? I’m getting ready for bed.”
Her task completed, Edie had stretched out on the sofa, a pillow from the lower berth behind her head. “Did you see John? He is the cat’s pajamas! And that cowboy hat,” she sighed. “It gives me a real kick!”
“Me, too! It’s the berries. I’ll be dreaming of cowboys all night,” agreed Gertie. “I’ll take the top berth, out of consideration of your greater age.”
Edie threw the pillow at Gertie. They both giggled. “And I’ll let you! Sweet dreams, sister. Tonight we reach Las Vegas, and tomorrow, on the Detour, they’ll start to come true!”
No comments:
Post a Comment